backup lfs 6.2 to dvd?

Alan Lord lord_alan at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Oct 11 00:15:08 PDT 2006

Arden wrote:
> After building and successfully booting LFS 6.2  I would like to backup
> the system I have made so far. If I burn a copy of the system onto a dvd
> can it be restored without any special problems? will everything copy
> successfully? I have never done this before and if anyone has any advice
> I would really appreciate. thanks Arden

Hi,

I'll bow to those who are better informed, but from my personal
experience yes you can do that. Obviously some settings [almost
exclusively in /etc for example] may well be tied to your particular
hardware set-up, like fstab, so you can't just drop your tarball onto a
completely different machine and expect it to work straight away.

The dynamic directories that are built on-top of the tree (/dev, /sys,
/proc etc) should not be backed up. So you want to tar up the partition
when running from another host, like the liveCD for example.

I prefer just to keep a log of everything I install and any personal
configuration changes and just re-build my system when I want to.

*Once you are happy with the build process and know your way round the
system*, take a look at jhalfs (on the ALFS) page of the web site. This
is turning into a very useful product indeed. On my old dell dimension
(256Mb ram, 2 Ghz P-IV) I can build a new LFS in just a few hours
without manual intervention. They have started to release the automated
BLFS features too - which I am just starting to play with.

One other thing I would suggest is that you make several partitions and
separate out the areas where you hold user-specific data such as: /home,
/srv and possibly /var. That way, you won't toast all your stuff unless
you really screw-up! And you can build a new system without having to
re-build all your data.

Hope this helps.

Alan