Problems installing Expect-5.42.1

Brandon Peirce brandon_peirce at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 8 12:11:52 PDT 2006

Richard Caldwell wrote:
>Hi, I'm having the following problem:
>Book version 6.0, using LiveCD, using the setenv.sh file from
>the "Building LFS from Live CD Hint".

>When I tried to install Expect-5.42.1 I had an error when I ran the line
>./configure --prefix=/tools --with-tcl=/tools/lib --with-x=no
>I don't remember the specifics but from searching the archives found a
>similar error which suggested adding
>--with-tcl=$LFS/sources.tcl8.4.7/unix
>as ./configure was missing a file. This appeared to work but I'm now
>  having an error when I run make SCRIPTS="" INSTALL
>The error is:
>/mnt/lfs/tools/bin ../lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.1/ ../ ../ ../ ../
>i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find ltcl8.4
>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>make: *** [expect_installed] Error 1

Expect is heavily dependent on the Tcl package in the previous
section.  (In fact Expect is written in the Tcl language.)
Gcc/ld can't find the Tcl library, and it sounds like something went
wrong with your Tcl install.  Check the contents of /tools/lib.  You
should find a file libtcl8.4.so there and also a subdir tcl8.4 containing
a whole bunch of *.tcl files.  There should also be about 10 tcl*.h
files in /tools/include

If you don't find all those files, then go back, be sure to remove your
source/build directories for Tcl and Expect, and restart from the
beginning of section  5.10. Tcl-8.4.7.

If all those installed tcl files look okay, we'll have to dig deeper.
In that case it could be something to do with your setenv.sh file
but I can't say until I've read that hint.