error compiling Glibc-2.3.6

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 8 05:40:51 PDT 2006

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 11:53:24AM +0200, Lu_Mia Lu_Mia wrote:

> I've tried to download it a few times. I don't have a windows system.
>
> echo $LC_ALL
> POSIX

 ok
> I didn't use patches.
 In chapter 5 that is correct.  You are following the 6.2 book ?

> my host distro is ubuntu edgy and the kernel is 2.6.17-5-686

 I think that might be ok.  In 6.2 we build a 2.6.16 kernel, but
using the old 2.6.12 headers (ah, that's why it said "compiled on
2.6.12").
> I did exactly what was written in the book.
>
> I don't know if it matters, but i install it next to ubuntu, and not on a
> fresh partition.

 Doing that is not impossible, but it can prove 'interesting' (there
used to be a hint for doing it).  But the issues with side-by-side
come later.

 I've never seen your problem before, and none of what you've
written sounds enough to do this.  I've taken a look at
csu/Makefile, the only things of interest for version-info.h seem to
be printf (from the shell, but that only affects the "Compiled on a"
part of the text, which looked ok), echo, and sed.

 What do you get if you type
 echo "\"Available extensions:\\n\"";                 \
 sed -e '/^#/d' -e 's/^[[:space:]]*/  /'              \
                -e 's/^\(.*\)$$/\"\1\\n\"/'

(In the Makefile, this is applied to temporary files listing the
extensions, but I'm not sure exactly how those files are formatted,
and in any case it seems to be the first line which breaks.)

 On my current box this reports

"Available extensions:\n"

 If you get something different, which versions of sed and bash are
you using, and are there later updates for either of these from
ubuntu ?   I'm starting to think this might be a problem with
ubuntu's bash.

 If your result matches mine, I'm sorry, I've no other ideas.

Ken