keyboard problem

Richard Caldwell rcaldwellie at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 7 11:04:15 PDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 04:07:40PM -0700, Richard Caldwell wrote:
> Hi,
>     I'm having the following problem with my keyboard and I can find a solution in the archives.
> Installing LFS from LIveCD 6.0
>
> In chapter 5 "adjusting the toolchain" I can't find the ` character on my keyboard.(I'm on a
> different machine typing this). There's a few other mixed up characters such as @ appears
> over 2 but that's not a problem. problem is that the character immediately before dirname on
> the first line of the command below can't be found. I think it's called an acute accent and it's
>  not over the key above my tab key as I'd expect it.
>
>It's a _grave_ accent, more commonly referred to as a back-tick in
>this context.  My first thought was that you have somehow got a US
>keyboard layout to match your mail's timezone, but ` is one of the
>characters in the same position as in the UK (@ and " swap, #
>replaces the pound sterling, \ and | are on our # ~ key).

>I'm not familiar with the Live CD, but did you get the opportunity
>to select a locale or keyboard ?  If you didn't, which character
>appears when you use the key above 'tab' ?  In American layouts that
>key produces ` and shifts to ~, I think.

Hi Ken,  I got around it wiht the fix suggested by Dan N. using $(xxx) instead.
It's weird, the character above tab is ' and shifts to ~ . I didn't get any opportunity to
select keyboard or locale on boot. On my keyboard when I depress 2 I get @
and when I depress [SHIFT] + @ I get ", also # replaces £ as you suggest.
How do you check your keyboard/locale configuration and change it? Next time I reboot
I'll try a differenet keyboard as a matter of interest.
Thanks

RC