6.12.1. Installation of GCC (Book: LFS Version 6.2)

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 17:06:04 PDT 2006

On 10/5/06, knutz <knutz at pagemage.co.nz> wrote:

> Desired output:
>     SEARCH_DIR("/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib")
>     SEARCH_DIR("/usr/local/lib")
>     SEARCH_DIR("/lib")
>     SEARCH_DIR("/usr/lib");
>
> What I got:
>     SEARCH_DIR("/tools/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib")
>     SEARCH_DIR("/usr/lib")
>     SEARCH_DIR("/lib");
>
> All other tests showed the desired output. My question is:
> How far back do I need to go?

This is from the ld linker in binutils. For some reason, it's still
using the ld in /tools/bin. So, as Brandon said, either your PATH is
wrong and /tools/bin is at the beginning. Then when GCC got built, it
assumed this ld was the right one to use. Otherwise, something went
wrong in the binutils installation in Ch. 6.11.

So, you should probably go back Ch. 6.11 and rebuild binutils and gcc.

However, here's a quick test to see what's going on.

1. What's your PATH? /usr/bin should come before /tools/bin.
$ echo $PATH

2. Assuming PATH is correct, which ld is first in the path.
$ type -p ld

3. Is it /usr/bin/ld? If not, binutils in Ch. 6.11 definitely got
messed up and didn't install to the standard directory. If it is the
correct ld, check what it's search path is.
$ ld --verbose | grep SEARCH

This output should match that in Ch. 6.12.

--
Dan