6.12.1. Installation of GCC (Book: LFS Version 6.2)

Brandon Peirce brandon_peirce at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 5 06:36:38 PDT 2006

knutz wrote:
>Hi.
>This is my fourth attempt at an LFS system - I have had one success so far
>-

I applaude your persistence :)

>In section 6.12.1 - Installation of GCC all goes well. The test-suite shows
>some errors, but I carry on as it usually does. I start the test for the
>dynamic linker. All is fine until I do the test for the search paths:
>
>Step 15:
>    grep 'SEARCH.*/usr/lib' dummy.log |sed 's|; |\n|g'
>
>Desired output:
>    SEARCH_DIR("/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib")
>    SEARCH_DIR("/usr/local/lib")
>    SEARCH_DIR("/lib")
>    SEARCH_DIR("/usr/lib");
>
>What I got:
>    SEARCH_DIR("/tools/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib")
>    SEARCH_DIR("/usr/lib")
>    SEARCH_DIR("/lib");
>
>All other tests showed the desired output. My question is:
>How far back do I need to go?

This looks like the output you should get in 6.10, so most likely you
won't need to go back any further than that.  I'm no toolchain guru
but it looks to me like the gcc you used to compile your dummy.c
is not using the new Binutils from ch 6.11.  Are you sure that you
entered the chroot with the correct command?  Check that your PATH
is correct (/usr/bin first and /tools/bin last) and that shell hashing is
off (output of "echo $-" must not contain lowercase 'h')

Brandon