LFS 6.2 - USB and SCSI problem during bootup

James Stavrou zeus_gr at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 4 15:48:32 PDT 2006

Hello to everyone - i am a first time lfs user and so far i haven't had any
issues by following the book until now.  I was able to compile the kernel
and boot without using the lfs livecd but when i got to the login prompt i
got several usb error -110.  At the same time, when i looked into the /dev
directory i couldn't find the sda1 node anywhere so i could try to mount a
usb2 port.  Since then i have tried to configure the kernel in several ways
(built in or modules) and i always get the same results - my latest config
is everything built in.

I have selected SCSI support, SCSI device support, USB support, Support for
host-side USB, USB device filesystem, EHCI, OHCI, UHCI, USB mass storage,
HID, HID input layer support.

The error i get during boot up from dmesg is:
usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
usb 4-1: device not accepting address 3, error -110
usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
usb 4-1: device not accepting address 4, error -110
usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb 4-1: device not accepting address 5, error -110

the output of lspci is:
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM USB (Hub #1) (rev 02)
(prog-if 00 [UHCI])
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM USB (Hub #3) (rev 02)
(prog-if 00 [UHCI])
07:00.0 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03) (prog-if
10 [OHCI])
        Subsystem: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller
07:00.3 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 2.0 Controller (rev 01) (prog-if
20 [EHCI])
        Subsystem: ALi Corporation USB 2.0 Controller

as for the scsi problem, when i use the lfs livecd i get a message during
bootup that i don't get with my new system:
SCSI device sda: 398297088 512-byte hdwr sectors (203928 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 17 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sda: 398297088 512-byte hdwr sectors (203928 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 17 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: sda1
sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sda

i'm not sure if these two issues are related or not but i have a feeling
that they are.

can somebody point me to the right direction? is it something i did wrong,
did i miss anything, or something else i can try.  i'm running out of
options and at this point i don't know or can't think of what else to try.

i also have the usb debug option selected so if anyone thinks that can help
i provide it as well.

thanks in advance
james