error during the installation of binutils

Brandon Peirce brandon_peirce at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 4 07:44:19 PDT 2006

Vladimir Marcu wrote:

>I seem to get stuck at the section 5.3.1 of the book, during the "make
>install" of binutils. I am trying to build the LFS system using the LFS
>Live
>CD as a host. This is the output from "make install":
[...]
>mkdir -p -- /tools /tools
>
>mkdir: cannot create directory '/tools': Permission denied

Did you create the symlink in Chapter 4.2. Creating the $LFS/tools
Directory?

Try " ls -l /tools " and you should get something like:
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 15 Oct  3 19:55 /tools -> /mnt/lfs/tools/
If you don't, that's your problem!

>The way I got around this was to change the configuration command switch
>--prefix=/tools (as it is specified in the book) to --prefix=$LFS/tools.

Bad idea!  Like that probably everything will go fine until the end of Ch 5,
and then as soon as you enter the chroot in Ch 6, nothing will work anymore
because in the chroot your $LFS/tools has become just /tools and $LFS/tools
doesn't exist anymore but you will have that path hard-coded into all your
programs!

Brandon.