Useradd

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 18:08:32 PST 2006

On 11/29/06, Geoffrey Thomas <gmthomas1 at mac.com> wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2006, at 7:17 PM, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> >> 755.

> >> Yes, without problem.
> >
> > Is /bin/bash listed in /etc/shells? Are you using PAM? Is there any
> > more revealing output in /var/log/auth.log?
>
>   There is no /etc/shells. Did I miss that in the installation
> somewhere?

It's in BLFS. I don't think it's absolutely needed by login. But
here's the page:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/postlfs/etcshells.html

> No I did not install PAM.

Cracklib? Did you do pwconv and grpconv as specified on the shadow page?

> When I add a user, the auth.log reads:
>       new user: test5, UID1002, GID1002, home=/home/test5, shell=/bin/
> bash
>   I used passwd to add a password
> The log reads password for test5 changed by root.
> Attempted login says:
> No mail
> Cannot execute /bin/bash. Permission denied
> I can use deluser, which removes all but the home directory.
> The permissions on /bin and /bin/bash are 755 with root being the owner.

Hmm. Here's a test. Can you su to your test user rather than trying to
login? As root, try "su test5". That will help determine if the
problem is in login or not.

--
Dan