Useradd

Geoffrey Thomas gmthomas1 at mac.com
Wed Nov 29 17:46:18 PST 2006

On Nov 29, 2006, at 7:17 PM, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> On 11/29/06, Geoffrey Thomas <gmthomas1 at mac.com> wrote:

>> 755.
>> >
>> > Did you set the password by using
>> > passwd <new user name> ?
>>
>> Yes, without problem.
>
> Is /bin/bash listed in /etc/shells? Are you using PAM? Is there any
> more revealing output in /var/log/auth.log?
>
> --
> Dan
> --

  There is no /etc/shells. Did I miss that in the installation
somewhere?
No I did not install PAM.
When I add a user, the auth.log reads:
      new user: test5, UID1002, GID1002, home=/home/test5, shell=/bin/
bash
  I used passwd to add a password
The log reads password for test5 changed by root.
Attempted login says:
No mail
Cannot execute /bin/bash. Permission denied
I can use deluser, which removes all but the home directory.
The permissions on /bin and /bin/bash are 755 with root being the owner.
Geoff

When I