libncurses.so.5: file too short

Colin Dean cdean at cs.westminster.edu
Tue Nov 28 18:19:53 PST 2006

Well, I thought I had everything up and working (it booted, woot).

However, I noticed that the first program to actually use
libncurses--the kernel's menuconfig--was greatly distorted.

Then, while trying to do something else (I can't remember now), I got
this error:

/lib/libncursesw.so.5: file too short

I looked at that file and it was a symlink to /lib/libncursesw.so.5.5,
which contained "INPUT(-libncursesw)".

I tried rebuilding ncurses from the /sources directory (didn't delete
it!). It finishes building, but dies when it gets to **Building terminfo
database, please wait*** and tic dies with that same error above.

Ideas?

Should I go into /lib and /usr/lib and delete everything related to
libncurses, then try the install again? Or should I boot back up from
the LFS CD (my host environment) and rebuild it from within there?