Strange errors in perl makefiles at chaper 6.22

Colin Dean cdean at cs.westminster.edu
Mon Nov 27 07:34:51 PST 2006

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 10:27:06PM -0500, Colin Dean wrote:
>> I've encountered (and corrected!) two strange errors in the perl build
>> at chapter 6.22.
>>
>> After using the configure command in the book, a makefile was generated
>> with an extraneous '0' at:
>>
>> line 954 in /perl-5.8.8/makefile
>> line 159 in /perl-5.8.8/x2p/makefile
>>
>> <snip>
 > <snip>
>  The archives mention a similar problem with 5.8.7 in chapter 5:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/lfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org/msg00345.html
>  although a strangely similar post for LFS-6.0 and 5.8.5 is at
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=302341
> so people have seen this occasonally, but the reason is unknown.

I had to dig a bit, and ended up on the wayback machine to find the fix:

Perl fails with *** missing separator. Stop.

     It's missing a device file. (AFAIK, /dev/null, but maybe
/dev/zero.) Anyway, either you forgot to run MAKEDEV, or MAKEDEV failed,
or you're using devfs and forgot to mount --bind it under $LFS.

     If MAKEDEV failed, often all the device's ids will end with a "-".
AFAIK, this happens when MAKEDEV is run without $LFS/proc mounted.

     The devices should look exactly like this:

         * sk at bubook:~ $ ls -l /dev/{null,zero}
         * crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 Dec 31 1969 /dev/null
         * crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 5 Dec 31 1969 /dev/zero
         * sk at bubook:~ $

Perhaps this error should be readded to the FAQ?

(If it's not already there, I was able to load it earlier, but am
strangely unable to hit linuxfromscratch.org at the moment.)

> problematic in recent times.  Did you apply the fixes patch to
> bash in chapter 5 ?

Yes.

Thanks.