ld built without --hash-style, Ch5, Fedora Core 6 -> glibc config failure

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sat Nov 25 20:34:14 PST 2006

Amadeus wrote:

> Thanks for the tip, unfortunately I'm back to the same problem, this
> time when compiling binutils-2.17 for the first time as part of Chapter
> 5 using my own ld:
>
> configure:1980: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works
> configure:1996: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
> /home/lfs/binutils/bin/ld: unrecognized option '--hash-style=gnu'
> /home/lfs/binutils/bin/ld: use the --help option for usage information
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> configure: failed program was:

This looks very similar to an old problem, possibly one of the last
remaining bugs with the current build method. Details here:

http://www.diy-linux.org/pipermail/diy-linux-dev/2004-August/000050.html

Try starting from scratch, this time compiling Binutils-Pass1 like this:

CC="gcc -B/usr/bin/" \
  ../binutils-2.17/configure --prefix=/tools --disable-nls

and similar for GCC-Pass1.

Regards
Greg
--