ld built without --hash-style, Ch5, Fedora Core 6 -> glibc config failure

Amadeus amadeus.stevenson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 07:20:45 PST 2006

Hello,

Vladimir A. Pavlov wrote:
> On Friday 24 November 2006 20:17, Amadeus wrote:
>
>> I'm following LFS-dev and trying to build glibc as per chapter five.
>> After a while of investigating and trying LFS-6.2 instructions, it seems
>> that whatever compiler I use (gcc-4.1.1 is default on FC6) ld is built
>> without the --hash-style option which means glibc won't configure
>> (--hash-style=gnu not supported).
>>

> Is it possible to build your "own" copy of binutils before an LFS
> build and use them instead of Fedora's ones?
>
> For that you can try to run
> ../binutils-2.17/configure --some-options --prefix=/home/you/binutils
> make
> make install
> export PATH="/home/you/binutils/bin:$PATH"
>
> and then do a build exactly like the book says.

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately I'm back to the same problem, this
time when compiling binutils-2.17 for the first time as part of Chapter
5 using my own ld:

configure:1980: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works
configure:1996: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
/home/lfs/binutils/bin/ld: unrecognized option '--hash-style=gnu'
/home/lfs/binutils/bin/ld: use the --help option for usage information
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:

Grepping through binutils-2.17/ld source directory doesn't find any
reference to "hash-style"...

I found http://www.linuxsir.org/bbs/showthread.php?t=280933 has the same
problem (FC6) but I can't read Chinese :( They seem to be suggesting
building binutils from the live CD and then continuing. This could be
tried, but I don't see why I shouldn't manage it just using my host
system...

Amadeus