ld built without --hash-style, Ch5, Fedora Core 6 -> glibc config failure

Amadeus amadeus.stevenson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 09:17:18 PST 2006

Hello,

I'm following LFS-dev and trying to build glibc as per chapter five.
After a while of investigating and trying LFS-6.2 instructions, it seems
that whatever compiler I use (gcc-4.1.1 is default on FC6) ld is built
without the --hash-style option which means glibc won't configure
(--hash-style=gnu not supported).

Apparently this has to do with "too new" tools on my host system, FC6,
but I am clueless as to how to resolve this.

Thanks for any help,

Amadeus

ps. I'm not posting any config.log's as the only error is with my
binutils' ld not having the --hash-style=gnu option. I tried gcc-4.0.3
as well as a locally compiled gcc-4.1.1 but I suspect the problem is not
restricted to the compilter