Chapter 8:Host system Booting Problem

Eric Stout stout at lost-soul.net
Thu Nov 23 01:01:25 PST 2006

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 rrahul at issc.unipune.ernet.in wrote:

> We have completed upto chapter8
>
> and have booted the LFS system,
> But we cannot boot  the Base system,
>
> The base system we had  used was RedhatEnterpriseLinux4
>
> Our Menu.lst file reads
>
> #LFS Entry
> title LFS6.2
> root(hd0,3)
> kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.16.27 root=/dev/hda4
>
> #Host system
> title RHEL4
> root(hd0,1)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-5 ro root=LABEL =/ rhgb quiet
> initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-5.EL.img
>

> But In the GRUB menu when we select
> the base system
>
> We get
> Error 15: Which is FileNot Found...

I've been playing with grub all day and have seen this one enough times :)

In my case, I kept making a dumb mistake.

Look at it as the root device sees it.  For example, lets say root(hd0,1)
is normally sda2 and gets mounted as /, then the kernel line should
include the /boot part.  But if root(hd0,1) was sda2 and gets mounted as
/boot (which wouldn't be the smartest way to do things, but hey, never
know), then you don't want to include that.

That was my problem anyways, perspective.  The next thing you can look at
is in the grub environment, just run "grub" from the command line.

issue a root(hd0,1) command, and if it doesn't return any errors, then
issue find /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-5 and find /boot/initrd-2.6.9-5.EL.img
commands.  It should either tell you which file isn't found (the kernel or
the initrd image) or it'll give you info about the files.

If it can't find them, do the find's without the path included.

Eric Stout