Problems with i965G Chipset

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 21:58:08 PST 2006

On 11/12/06, Nathan Coulson <conathan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I bought myself a GA-965G-DS3 motherboard
>
> --965G northbridge
> --ICH9 southbridge
> --unknown addon controller for IDE & SATA Ports
>
> Harddrive is plugged into the IDE Channel (Only 1 avaliable).  there
> are 6 sata slots.
>
> I compiled in a few ide/sata modules that appeared to fit, but I
> cannot get it to find my partition.  (I believe I just dont know where
> it is mapped to in the /dev directory.  It isn't hda1, or sda1.  I
> coulnd't see what the kernel identifies as drives as it scrolls by too
> fast).
>
> Grub has no problems accessing the filestructure.
>

> I guess I am looking for a few posibilities
> -Recent bootable cd that supports the above chipset, so I can scope
> out how it lays out the harddrives  (LFS liveCD does not find the cd
> after the kernel is loaded).
> -way to slow down or cache the information supplied by the kernel as
> it boots.  This way I can see what partitions It see's, or if I even
> got the correct drivers.
>

> If nothing is out there,  I'll probably attempt to build a initrd,
> with a bash shell and a minimal environment.
>
> --
> Nathan Coulson (conathan)
> ------
> nathan at linuxfromscratch org
> conathan at gmail com

My IDE Driver was JMicron.

Just some additional notes,  I got the kernel to freeze (good ol
rootdelay), to determine it didn't see my IDE driver.

I solved it with 2.6.19-rc5 (Having a bootable system does wonders for
diagnostics), and attempting to get it working with 2.6.18.2 (It looks
like the ide-generic should work,  so just mixing up options).

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------