Problem with su

Vladimir A. Pavlov pv4 at bk.ru
Sat Nov 11 07:47:43 PST 2006

Hi, Romain!

On Saturday 11 November 2006 16:52, Romain Thouvenin wrote:
>    install_package "Mktemp : pour creer des fichiers temporaires" mktemp mktemp
>    su: /usr/src/mktemp:/bin/bash: No such file or directory

Every package user has a record (a line) in /etc/passwd. Every record
contains sevaral fields (user id, primary group id, description, shell,
etc) separated by a colon `:' (for instance,
"root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash").

That's why all the programs working with users/groups don't allow any
of the fields to contain colons. In your case you seem to be trying to
force a user to have a description (so-called GECOS field) with colons
in it.

So my suggestion is to drop the ':' character from the package
description.

--
Nothing but perfection
pv