BOOK 5: Deleting Source and Build directories confusion

Ron Greene rgtech1 at adelphia.net
Fri Nov 10 18:56:44 PST 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 11/10/06, Ron Greene <rgtech1 at adelphia.net> wrote:
>>
>> What specifically is the source directory?
>>
>> For example:
>> I went to $LFS/sources and did rm -r gcc-build and I think that's
>> correct?
>>
>> But then I rm -r gcc-4.0.3.  Now i can not mkdir binutils-build for the
>> Pass 2 so I assume I am misunderstanding what the source directory is?
>
> The source directory is what's in the tarball, i.e. the gcc-4.0.3
> directory. The build directory is where you will compile the objects
> and executables from that source, i.e. the gcc-build directory. The
> idea is that you do all the compiling in a separate location and you
> don't mess up any of the source files.
>
> So, if you've deleted the gcc-build and/or binutils-build directories,
> you may want to start over. The book should instruct you when you need
> to keep the build directories. Everything else you should delete
> immediately after your done unless you really want to keep them.
>
> --
> Dan
Then apparently I did understand the source and build.  However what I
seem to be missing is how to "create a seperate /gcc-build directory" as
instructed to do in Book 5.11.GCC-4.0.3 - Pass 2 when the GCC directory
has been deleted. I can not mkdir ../gcc-build as far as I can see
without the source (in this case gcc-4.0.3 directory) being in place.
Correct?

You state that since I've deleted the build directories I may want to
start over.  I am in fact going to do just that but since this is still
not clear to me hopefully my confusion can somehow be cleared up before
I get back to this point again.

Thanks, ron