BOOK 5: Deleting Source and Build directories confusion

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 18:04:23 PST 2006

On 11/10/06, Ron Greene <rgtech1 at adelphia.net> wrote:

> What specifically is the source directory?
>
> For example:
> I went to $LFS/sources and did rm -r gcc-build and I think that's correct?
>
> But then I rm -r gcc-4.0.3.  Now i can not mkdir binutils-build for the
> Pass 2 so I assume I am misunderstanding what the source directory is?

The source directory is what's in the tarball, i.e. the gcc-4.0.3
directory. The build directory is where you will compile the objects
and executables from that source, i.e. the gcc-build directory. The
idea is that you do all the compiling in a separate location and you
don't mess up any of the source files.

So, if you've deleted the gcc-build and/or binutils-build directories,
you may want to start over. The book should instruct you when you need
to keep the build directories. Everything else you should delete
immediately after your done unless you really want to keep them.

--
Dan