HLFS with hints: not loading kernel

Warren_Head _ wipwap19 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 19 06:18:36 PST 2006

>Hi there,
>
>I succesfully created an LFS system once and thought I'd create an HLFS
>system next, while incorporating a few LFS hints. Unfortunately, I cannot
>boot the system at the start of chapter 8.
>I would be grateful for a few pointers.
>
>The hints I have incorporated are:
>-
>http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/more_control_and_pkg_man.txt
>(package user style installation)
>- http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/eswap.txt
>(encrypting swap file)
>
>I'll explain the "I can not boot" error a bit more. I installed grub as
>usual and am using udev etcetera.
>I deviated from the HLFS book at the end of chapter 7 though. I haven't
>installed grub into the MBR record of the single IDE harddrive, since from
>within the Grub console I was unable to find the harddrive with "root
>(hd0,1)".
>Error 21: Selected disk does not exist
>
>This is likely due to the fact that I have only two device files in /dev at
>the end of HLFS chapter 7; console and null. (Grub is immediately looking
>for /dev/hda2 right?)
>So I went and used the Grub installation from the Knoppix 4.0 system that I
>was using to build HLFS and added the HLFS partition and kernel info to its
>/boot/grub/menu.lst and left it at that. I rebooted and selected the HLFS
>option from the grub menu. In the blink of a second I can see (probably)
>the three grub lines flashing by, after which the screen goes black and I
>have to do a hard reboot, because nothing is happening.
>When I manually go through the grub options one by one, the line root
>(hd0,1) is accepted and returned is the fact that an ext filesystem is
>found there, which my HLFS is. But the kernel will not load.
>
>Aside from incorporating the mentioned hints I haven't consciously deviated
>from the HLFS book.
>
>Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
>Tilde.

I guess I am still fairly Linux green. I managed to get some output from the
kernel that was actually being loaded. It halted with an oops, of course.
After repeatedly removing stuff from the kernel I managed to boot the
system. Unfortunately, the thing which was causing the oops ( showed up in
the error every time) was the frandom replacement of urandom.

Frandom is actually a plus and added into HLFS with some effort, so this
being the cause of the error is not good. I guess it is fair to assume I
deviated from the HLFS book somehow with one of the three random patches. Is
there anything I can do to check whether the frandom patches in the system
have been applied? Perhaps a simple testrandom.c?

The system I am building on, a Via SP13000 with a C5 Nehemiah core, already
has a proper hardware random number generator. I wonder whether frandom and
the hardware generator are capable of living next to another.

Thanks in advance,