Status of development branch?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 16:15:12 PST 2006

On 2/18/06, Chris Schwemmer
<chris.schwemmer at informatik.stud.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:

> it seems that right now there is a lot of things going on (UTF-8, hotplug
> -> only udev transition).

Well, I think that the UTF-8 stuff is fine.  I don't use it, but you
don't have to either.  Alexander is behind all those changes, and he
usually does an excellent job.  I've built the development branch with
the UTF-8 changes a bunch of times, so I know it'll build.  Coverage
of UTF-8 in BLFS is an ongoing game that Alexander is leading, but you
can use a non-UTF-8 locale and avoid those issues if you want.

Hotplug through udev only is still a work in progress, but some people
on the list are using it.  I haven't tried it yet.  I'm waiting a
couple more weeks to see how things shake out in the udev_update
branch.

> I read somewhere that gcc 4 right now should not be
> used for a production system. Is that still the case?

I've never heard that before.  I'm pretty sure RedHat on their current
Enterprise Linux uses gcc-4, and that's considered production.  Some
packages have to be patched to accomidate gcc-4, but that's been
pretty much hammered out in the LFS and BLFS development books.

> I think that I should find the time to do it (respectively let nALFS do
> it...) around the beginning of April. Do you think that LFS development
> does/will produce a system stable enough for a production machine?

I would think that's more than enough time.  It depends on your
definition of stable, though.  If you really just want to follow the
book and not worry about the packages, then wait for the next release.
 Then, all the major gotchas should be figured out.

--
Dan