Status of development branch?

Chris Schwemmer chris.schwemmer at informatik.stud.uni-erlangen.de
Sat Feb 18 08:17:41 PST 2006

Hi all!

I just got a new hard drive for my laptop (IBM Thinkpad) and so it seems
it's time for a new LFS. I already read a lot of posts from lfs-devel and
it seems that right now there is a lot of things going on (UTF-8, hotplug
-> only udev transition). Strangely that's always the case when I decide to
install a new LFS. *g* This laptop is my main production machine, so I need
a system that is and stays stable... But of course I'd like to have some
new goodies on it. ;) I read somewhere that gcc 4 right now should not be
used for a production system. Is that still the case?
I think that I should find the time to do it (respectively let nALFS do
it...) around the beginning of April. Do you think that LFS development
does/will produce a system stable enough for a production machine? I
already used LFS dev about 3 or 4 times for a production system a few years
ago, so it's not about whether I'd risk a dev version per se. Or should I
stay with 6.1.1 and risk that by the time BLFS is done a new LFS with new
and shiny temptations is released? :p

Thanks for some input :)
Chris