missing .so after binutils pass1

Ungvari Gabor pinin at freemail.hu
Sat Feb 18 07:39:42 PST 2006

Thanx Ken for this answer.
I just confused by the book. Since at the bottom of chapter
5.4.1. (gcc-3.4.3) there is a link pointing to the content
of the package.

And thanx for the note about log saving trick!

Meanwhile I installed 2.6.x kernel and glibc has been
compiled.  And the test has been completed successfully.

Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> írta:

> On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, genie lfs wrote:
>
> > hi..
> > just get these file needed from the host system..
> >
> > the reason may be improper package , they might have
missed this file..]
> > dont proceed untill you have placed this files in your
/tools/lib

>   Huh ?  The subject is files that were not installed in
/tools when
> binutils got installed.  Copying libraries from the host
system is
> *never* the correct way to build a new LFS.
>
> > On 2/18/06, Ungvari Gabor <pinin at freemail.hu> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >>  I have started building LFS from scratch again.
> >> I have the problem that after installing compiled binutils
> >> (LFS book chapter 5.3.1) followings are missing: libbfd.so
> >> and libopcodes.so from /tools/lib/.
> >> I have libbfd.la and libopcodes.la instead.
> >> What is the reason for this? Can I continue building LFS
> >> without these .so files?
>
>   Yes!  According to my logs, in pass 1 we only install .a
and .la files
> into /lib in the LFS 6.1 series of books.  In other words,
any text that
> says the .so files are installed by pass1 binutils is
probably wrong.

> >> I haven't noticed any error during compilation of binutils.
> >> Btw: how can I "save" whole log output of compilation?
>
> ../binutils-2.x.y/configure --options-here 2>&1 | tee
/path/to/log