missing .so after binutils pass1

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Feb 18 06:56:51 PST 2006

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, genie lfs wrote:

> hi..
> just get these file needed from the host system..
>
> the reason may be improper package , they might have missed this file..]
> dont proceed untill you have placed this files in your /tools/lib

  Huh ?  The subject is files that were not installed in /tools when
binutils got installed.  Copying libraries from the host system is
*never* the correct way to build a new LFS.

> On 2/18/06, Ungvari Gabor <pinin at freemail.hu> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>  I have started building LFS from scratch again.
>> I have the problem that after installing compiled binutils
>> (LFS book chapter 5.3.1) followings are missing: libbfd.so
>> and libopcodes.so from /tools/lib/.
>> I have libbfd.la and libopcodes.la instead.
>> What is the reason for this? Can I continue building LFS
>> without these .so files?

  Yes!  According to my logs, in pass 1 we only install .a and .la files
into /lib in the LFS 6.1 series of books.  In other words, any text that
says the .so files are installed by pass1 binutils is probably wrong.

>> I haven't noticed any error during compilation of binutils.
>> Btw: how can I "save" whole log output of compilation?

../binutils-2.x.y/configure --options-here 2>&1 | tee /path/to/log
make configure_host 2>&1 | tee -a /path/to/log
make 2>&1 | tee -a /path/to/log
make install 2>&1 | tee -a /path/to/log

Ken