HLFS with hints: not loading kernel

Warren_Head _ wipwap19 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 18 05:54:18 PST 2006

Hi there,

I succesfully created an LFS system once and thought I'd create an HLFS
system next, while incorporating a few LFS hints. Unfortunately, I cannot
boot the system at the start of chapter 8.
I would be grateful for a few pointers.

The hints I have incorporated are:
-
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/more_control_and_pkg_man.txt
(package user style installation)
- http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/eswap.txt
(encrypting swap file)

I'll explain the "I can not boot" error a bit more. I installed grub as
usual and am using udev etcetera.
I deviated from the HLFS book at the end of chapter 7 though. I haven't
installed grub into the MBR record of the single IDE harddrive, since from
within the Grub console I was unable to find the harddrive with "root
(hd0,1)".
Error 21: Selected disk does not exist

This is likely due to the fact that I have only two device files in /dev at
the end of HLFS chapter 7; console and null. (Grub is immediately looking
for /dev/hda2 right?)
So I went and used the Grub installation from the Knoppix 4.0 system that I
was using to build HLFS and added the HLFS partition and kernel info to its
/boot/grub/menu.lst and left it at that. I rebooted and selected the HLFS
option from the grub menu. In the blink of a second I can see (probably) the
three grub lines flashing by, after which the screen goes black and I have
to do a hard reboot, because nothing is happening.
When I manually go through the grub options one by one, the line root
(hd0,1) is accepted and returned is the fact that an ext filesystem is found
there, which my HLFS is. But the kernel will not load.

Aside from incorporating the mentioned hints I haven't consciously deviated
from the HLFS book.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tilde.