S50hotplug error on shutdown / reboot

Dennis Terebecki dennis at onerrave.com
Thu Feb 16 19:54:41 PST 2006

Hi,

I have just (finally) completed installing the LFS Stable Version 6.1.1.3 from
the LiveCD and was elated to have it boot up.

However, when I shut down, I receive the following error message in connection
with the S50hotplug events files:

/etc/rc.d/rc0.d/S50hotplug: line 29: /var/log/hotplug/events: No such file or
directory

FAILURE:                                                               [ FAIL ]

You should not be seeing this error message.

 It
means that an unforseen error took place in
/etc/rc.d/rc0.d.S50hotplug, which exited with a return value of 1.

When I reboot, I receive the following error message in connection with the
S50hotplug events files:

/etc/rc.d/rc6.d/S50hotplug: line 29: /var/log/hotplug/events: No such file or
directory

FAILURE:                                                               [ FAIL ]

You should not be seeing this error message.

 It
means that an unforseen error took place in
/etc/rc.d/rc6.d.S50hotplug, which exited with a return value of 1.

I found that the hotplug and events directories had NOT been created and
manually created them.  This did NOT solve the problem.

I have attempted Google searches to confirm the problem and provide a solution.
I have found several references to the message and problem but I have not found
any solutions.

I followed the LFS Stable Book for LFS 6.1.1 using LiveCD version 6.1.1.3.

Linux LiveCD Version 6.1.1.3
Running on a AMD Duron processor

I consider myself a high beginner or low intermediate Linux programmer.  Any and
all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dennis Terebecki