binutils pass 1

Paul G Rogers paul.rogers at juno.com
Thu Feb 16 08:48:59 PST 2006

>>> Swap should be greater than your RAM, example if you have a memory of
256
>>> MB, then make your swap 300MB or 257MB etc.
>>
>> As a general rule of thumb swap should be at least twice your ram. Eg
if
>> you have 256Mb ram the swap should be 512Mb.

That's not a good rule at all.

>This used to be the case.  Now days, between large amountsof disk
>space and large amounts of memory, you don't really need to follow
>that rule of thumb so closely.

If you're using such a machine, but the great thing about Linux is it
still works on older hardware.

>Keep in mind that the kernel will cache anything and everything it can
>for quicker use later, so if the machine is doing anything at all,
>your physical memory will be reported as "full" all the time.  This is
>technically true, but most of the cruft in memory is swapped out to
>nothingness as new stuff is brought in.

If and only if there is enough swap space to contain it.  If the kernel
needs more virtual memory than it has, it will fail.  The questions are:
how well it can diagnose that condition and properly inform us, and how
much virtual memory a 2.6 kernel requires for a "basic" build without
modules?

Paul Rogers  (paul.rogers at juno.com)
http://www.xprt.net/~pgrogers/
http://www.geocities.com/paulgrogers/
(I do not personally endorse any additions after this line. TANSTAAFL
:-)