Error while making system bootable

admin at polerio.com admin at polerio.com
Wed Feb 15 21:02:18 PST 2006

I can help you with that but first paste your output from cfdisk
so we will know what partitions you are using.

for the mean time i can give you some example, its better you read the grub
manual because its all there.

this is my cfdisk sample output

hda1                    Primary   Linux swap / Solaris              1003.49
hda2        Boot        Primary   Linux ext3                       10001.95

this is my /boot/grub/menu.lst

# Begin /boot/grub/menu.lst

# By default boot the first menu entry.
default 0

# Allow 30 seconds before booting the default.
timeout 30

# Use prettier colors.
color green/black light-green/black

# The first entry is for LFS.
title LFS 6.1.1
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.11.12 root=/dev/hda2

this is my /etc/fstab

# Begin /etc/fstab

# file system  mount-point  type   options         dump  fsck
#                                                        order

/dev/hda2      /            ext3   defaults        1     1
/dev/hda1      swap         swap   pri=1           0     0
proc           /proc        proc   defaults        0     0
sysfs          /sys         sysfs  defaults        0     0
devpts         /dev/pts     devpts gid=4,mode=620  0     0
shm            /dev/shm     tmpfs  defaults        0     0
# End /etc/fstab

this is my sample grub session

grub> root (hd0,1)

grub> setup (hd0)
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"...  16 sectors are embedded.
succeeded
Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+16 p
(hd0,1)/boot/grub/stage2
/boot/grub/menu.lst"... succeeded
Done.

grub>