binutils pass 1

Eric Stout stout at lost-soul.net
Wed Feb 15 11:08:44 PST 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Shane Shields wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 04:39 -0600, admin at polerio.com wrote:
> > Swap should be greater than your RAM, example if you have a memory of 256
> > MB, then make your swap 300MB or 257MB etc.
>
> As a general rule of thumb swap should be at least twice your ram. Eg if
> you have 256Mb ram the swap should be 512Mb.

This used to be the case.  Now days, between large amountsof disk space and large amounts of memory, you don't really need to follow that rule of thumb so closely.

Myself, I cap it at 1GB.  mkswap seems to truncate to 2GB, which is probably saying something.  My advice is to play with it and see if having a small swap space increases or decreases performance (either by forcing physical ram to be managed properly or by running the system short).

Keep in mind that the kernel will cache anything and everything it can for quicker use later, so if the machine is doing anything at all, your physical memory will be reported as "full" all the time.  This is technically true, but most of the cruft in memory is swapped out to nothingness as new stuff is brought in.

Eric