Can anybody try to make a LFW system?

Ron Parker rdparker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 13:14:17 PST 2006

On 2/14/06, Matt Darcy <lfs-list at projecthugo.co.uk> wrote:
> Earth Engine wrote:

> > I do not have a try, but I think if the Windows system has some
> > environment like Cygwin, which allow UNIX-style binaries running in
> > windows platform, then maybe we could just use the tech that has been
> > used in CLFS to make our LFS system, is it possible?

> To make this a quick thread.
>
> It can't be done on a native windows environment.

I mostly agree with Matt here. From native Windows, nearly impossible.
>From Cygwin, just about impossible.  In my opinion, your best bet for
bootstrapping LFS while running Windows is probably using Cooperative
Linux, coLinux, http://www.colinux.org.

Cooperative Linux is similar to UML. It is a port of the Linux kernel
to Windows. It allows you to run Linux with all of its associated
applications without using VMWare or similar software. All of the
applications are still Linux native and run on top of the coLinux
kernel. They do not have to be recompiled or ported to a new
environment, as is the case with Cygwin. The kernel is the only tricky
thing.