General questions about LFS

José Carlos Carrión Plaza jc at um.es
Sun Feb 12 10:01:22 PST 2006

Niki Kovacs escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I'm actually in the middle of the first LFS book, somwhere at the beginning of
> chapter 6. I appreciate the quality of the doc: everything is well explained,
> and I just have to follow the book.
>
> Just out of curiousity...
>
> 1) LFS/BLFS... is it just a "learning distro"... or is there a way to use it
> as a full-blown everyday distro? E. g. write a few scripts to automate the
> install process, which would result in something similar to Gentoo Linux
> (minus the "can't emerge" and similar hassle:oD)? I don't mind if the install
> process takes two days (to compile everything on an old Pentium II), as long
> as the result is rock-solid. I *think* so, but I'd rather ask people who have
> gotten more into it.
>
> 2) What's the release cycle of stable LFS/BLFS (roughly)? I'm rather
> suspicious of bleeding edge (since I use GNU/Linux for everyday work), but
> I'd hate to wait for 3-4 years (like Debian stable).
>
> My (rough) idea for the future: put together two different versions of LFS
> according to my needs. One for server (without X), one for full-blown
> desktop. That possible?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Niki Kovacs

Hellow Niki.

In the Live-CD there is a implementation of nALFS which permits you to
automate the install. But, I believe it's better to understand all about
LFS to make, at least, your first LFS installation in a manual way.

I have a seven years experience on Linux. I installed LFS on my laptop
(with X) about three years ago. Believe me: if you probe LFS/BLFS, you
don't like any distro any more: all of them will seem extremely heavy
and rigid. With LFS/BLFS you feel like at the wheel on a car.

I also admin a web/dns/mail/mysql server with LFS 6.0 (without X) and
the response is excellent.

Un saludo.

J.C.