General questions about LFS

William Harrington wwh20610 at cmsu2.cmsu.edu
Sun Feb 12 04:14:06 PST 2006

On Feb 12, 2006, at 5:34 AM, Niki Kovacs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1) LFS/BLFS... is it just a "learning distro"... or is there a way
> to use it
> as a full-blown everyday distro? E. g. write a few scripts to
> automate the
> install process, which would result in something similar to Gentoo
> Linux
> (minus the "can't emerge" and similar hassle:oD)? I don't mind if
> the install
> process takes two days (to compile everything on an old Pentium
> II), as long
> as the result is rock-solid. I *think* so, but I'd rather ask
> people who have
> gotten more into it.

If you get the LFS livecd, you can look at the different ways to
automatically
install LFS. There is nALFS, jhalfs, and maybe more than that, but those
are the two that I remember are with the livecd that last time I used
it.

> 2) What's the release cycle of stable LFS/BLFS (roughly)? I'm rather
> suspicious of bleeding edge (since I use GNU/Linux for everyday
> work), but
> I'd hate to wait for 3-4 years (like Debian stable).

Release cycle is really unknown. Whenever it is stable enough to
release.
For now, BLFS stable works well with LFS stable and BLFS-dev works
well with LFS-dev.

> My (rough) idea for the future: put together two different versions
> of LFS
> according to my needs. One for server (without X), one for full-blown
> desktop. That possible?

It's possible to create many different LFS builds. Even on the same
machine.
Use a different partition or different hard drives for each LFS
install. Put
each LFS build on a different machine. Good stuff.

Sincerely,

William