Followup to: Chapter 6 binutils 'make check' failures

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Feb 12 03:01:21 PST 2006

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, Anthony Borla wrote:

> I've had a quick look at the 'ld.log' file and the tests which have failed
> consist entirely of 'visibility' tests. Some of these pass and some of these
> fail - a quick example:

>    tmpdir/vnp >tmpdir/vnp.out
>    diff tmpdir/vnp.out /binutils-2.16.1/ld/testsuite/ld-elfvsb/elfvsb.dat
>    9c9
>    < shlib_shlibcall2 () == 7
>    ---
>    > shlib_shlibcall2 () == 8
>    child process exited abnormally
>    FAIL: visibility (protected) (non PIC)
>
> Anyway, I'm not after any detailed diagnosis, merely a little quick
> reassurance [given that the failing tests involve 'ld', a key system
> component] before proceeding any further and possibly creating a 'broken'
> build.

  I wondered about the visibility tests when I saw the number of
failures.  Yes, I've seen this, but I think it was on ppc64 multilib
clfs!  The good news is that the basic system worked ok, as if the
failure might be in the test code.  I haven't completed a regular LFS
with tests for some weeks, but I wouldn't expect these failures on x86.

  Which kernel version are you using, and what host system and cpu ?

Ken