Chapter 6 binutils 'make check' failures

Anthony Borla ajborla at bigpond.com
Sat Feb 11 18:00:44 PST 2006

Greetings,

I've had a pretty smooth run so far with SVN-20060207, but have run into -
what I *think* is - a slight problem. I've just run the 'make check' tests
after rebuilding binutils in Chapter 6 [the configure and make phases
proceeded without a hitch]. A partial dump of the failures:

                === ld Summary ===

# of expected passes            222
# of unexpected failures        21
# of expected failures          4
/binutils-build/ld/ld-new 2.16.1

make[3]: *** [check-DEJAGNU] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/binutils-build/ld'
make[2]: *** [check-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/binutils-build/ld'
make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Target `check' not remade because of errors.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/binutils-build/ld'
make: *** [check-ld] Error 2
make[1]: Entering directory `/binutils-build/libiberty'
make[2]: Entering directory `/binutils-build/libiberty/testsuite'
./test-demangle <
../../../binutils-2.16.1/libiberty/testsuite/demangle-expected
./test-demangle: 746 tests, 0 failures
make[2]: Leaving directory `/binutils-build/libiberty/testsuite'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/binutils-build/libiberty'
make: Target `check' not remade because of errors.

All previous steps have proceeded correctly [including the toolchain
adjustment after rebuilding glibc; sanity checks performed and passed at all
crucial junctures], as did the actual rebuilding of binutils.

My question: are these errors acceptable, and I may proceed with installing
binutils, and onto subsequent steps ? Or should I investigate these error
causes - if so, any pointers ?

Looking forward to any feedback.

Cheers,

Anthony Borla