doubt

Eric Stout stout at lost-soul.net
Sat Feb 11 12:36:13 PST 2006

> I want to do a LFS. I have an amd 64 bits laptop, so my doubt is if I
> should do a multilib 64system, all 64, or like if it was a normal
> i386?
>
> Can someone, please, tell me the pros and cons and give me an advice
> of what is the best option.

All 64 should be tossed out of the option list immediately.

If you want fun and excitement, I'd do a multilib 64 system.  You get the ability to run 32bit and 64bit applications, and the fun of building cross-compilers!

If you don't want 64bit, my suggestion would actually be i686, not i386.

The majority of the people I talk to tell me they see no performance difference between i686 and amd64 (x86-64), but some of the critical tools to have are a little less stable as 64bit tools.

Since I didn't poke and prod these people to figure out which tools or under what circumstance they ecame unstable, I don't know if its user error or system error.

So far I haven't had a problem with any 64bit tools myself, but my system has only been up for about an hour now :)

Eric