Unionfs to keep LFS and BLFS different

Subhash Chandra mr.subhash at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 15:56:06 PST 2006

Hi guys,
I don't know where this goes, either LFS or BLFS. So mailing to both.

When I built my third LFS (first was by book, second with package
users), LFS just moved to 6.1-2.(or was it 6.2 these are so confusing
esp, with more - and . s is nALFS profiles.) But BLFS and the rest of
packages remained same. Still I knew I had to rebuild them all(was I
wrong/dumb). Then I came with this idea to create a lfs_usr dir in
$LFS and use mount --bind to make it /usr(may be I should have gone
ahead with /usr and later rename it, but this is what I felt like
doing back then). Later at the end of LFS I've  built and installed
unionfs. Then I created a /blfs_usr and added
none    /usr    unionfs    dirs=/blfs_usr:/lfs_usr=ro    0 0
in the /etc/fstab.

I hoped I needn't rebuild the blfs for minor upgrades in lfs. I guess
I'll still have to rebuild them all in case of major changes like
shift to gcc 4.0 etc. but that too only when things actually break
down. (if it isn't broke, don't touch it ?!?!).

So far I have encountered only one problem with the approach. the
permissions, when changed should be made to both the directories. I
use package users and once pulled my hair for hours before I realised
this.

This is not exactly a support request but I want to know your
opinions/possible pitfalls in this. I wanna make an svn build(on
different partition). Seeking your valuable inputs before I start on
this.

Thanq
Subhash Chandra
--
I don't know how much of what I say is true