2.6.14 kernel panic - Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown - block

William Harrington wwh20610 at cmsu2.cmsu.edu
Thu Feb 9 12:01:06 PST 2006

On Feb 9, 2006, at 11:23 AM, Paul wrote:

> My 2.6.14 kernel won't boot. I have tried to document it as best I can
> below. Any help or recommendation would be greatly appreciated

It boots

> Errror Message:
>
> Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)

can't mount rootfs cause no block devices were detected cause block
device driver isn't in the kernel or your drives died.

> Notes:
>
> all drivers directly into the kernel (no modules) - not using an
> initrd
> image
> using the Adaptec AACRAID support - SCSI_AACRAID=y
> using the Fusion MPT ScsiHost drivers for SPI - FUSION_SPI=y

missing one: CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD. The kernel can't talk to scsi block
devices. Try enabling the scsi block device driver in the kernel and
trying again.

If the kernel doesn't find block devices attached to your scsi
drivers that means the drives are dead or you didn't load the block
device driver.

Sincerely,

William