binutils config error

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 8 10:11:38 PST 2006

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Randy McMurchy wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 13:08 +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
>>   In this case, I think gmp.h is used to identify BSD
>> systems.
>
> I don't think this can be an accurate statement. If the presence of
> gmp.h is used to determine if it is a BSD system, then it is a
> horribly broken test.

  I was referring to the following from configure - obviously it detects
BSDs without this (loose wording on my part).  It could be that the
later test for the version of gmp.h is actually testing something else,
or perhaps that version of BSD needs gmp.h to build binutils.

  *-*-freebsd*)
     noconfigdirs="$noconfigdirs target-newlib target-libgloss"
     if test "x$with_gmp" = x && test "x$with_gmp_dir" = x \
         && test -f /usr/local/include/gmp.h; then
       with_gmp=/usr/local
     fi

  To reiterate, for anybody following the book, gmp.h is expected to not
be present.  If the binutils configure-host fails, there are a series of
config.log files in the subdirectories.

Ken