binutils config error

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 8 05:08:35 PST 2006

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Ungvari Gabor wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I  have v6.1.1. LFS under excersice.
> It seems I have problem with first package, binutils.
> In config.log I have the following:
> ------ 8< ----------
> configure:2249: checking for correct version of gmp.h
[snip]
  But do you have a *problem* with configuring binutils ?  There was a
very similar question earlier this week, and someone pointed out that
configure scripts test the system to find out what it is, and log lots
of "failures".  In this case, I think gmp.h is used to identify BSD
systems.  If you do have a problem with binutils, you will need to look
at config.log in the subdirectory where it fails.

> Then I noticed that I don't have any .so in /tools/lib/.
>
> So, anyone can guess me what is the reason of error in
> binutils config.log and missing .so after binutils compilation.
> Anyway binutils build seemed ok.

  Insufficient data.  You say it seemed to build ok, so perhaps you
didn't install it, or perhaps you didn't pass the correct prefix.

> Then I proceeded forward and gcc compilation failed later.

  You could tell us the gcc error message!

> I have a debian Sarge as base system.

  Perhaps, your host is missing bison and flex.

Ken