lfs-support Digest, Vol 891, Issue 1

boovarahan boovarahan varaahan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 04:10:10 PST 2006

> Completing the LFS instructions successfully achieves a _working_ Linux system, but not a _usable_ one in more than just the basic sense.  IMO, it's not time for some time yet to get rid of the host system.  Pick and choose the priority of packages you need from BLFS carefully.  Continue to use the host as you did with the chroot environment to build out with BLFS until you get enough extras to make it functional stand-alone.  Your host is still useful.
>

> Paul Rogers  (paul.rogers at juno.com)
> http://www.xprt.net/~pgrogers/
> Rogers' Second Law: "Everything you do communicates."
> (I do not personally endorse any additions after this line. TANSTAAFL :-)

Had the network and text browser packages been included in the LFS
build , we could have straight away used it for installing additional
packages without the need for any other host system .

> Sounds like you know what your next steps should be. :) All kidding asside.  I
> setup networking (including iptables) X, and links. Of course you'll probably
> want to create a user account as well.
>
> After that, decide what applications you want to run and compile them.

For that we still need a host system and our hard built LFS is not
usable for this purpose.

> Well, I agree what that the LFS book as to say about the state of a LFS system
> at completion.
>
>  "The system you have created in this book is quite minimal, and most likely
> will not have the functionality you would need to be able to continue
> forward. By installing a few extra packages from the BLFS book while still in
> our current chroot environment, you can leave yourself in a much better
> position to continue on once you reboot into your new LFS installation.
> Installing a text mode web browser, such as Lynx, you can easily view the
> BLFS book in one virtual terminal, while building packages in another. The
> GPM package will also allow you to perform copy/paste actions in your virtual
> terminals. Lastly, if you are in a situation where static IP configuration
> does not meet your networking requirements, installing packages such as
> Dhcpcd or PPP at this point might also be useful."
>
> Hmm.... Why doesn't that mention setting up iptables and configuring a
> firewall?

But what about getting rid of the host system altogether ?

Boovarahan S