How to proceed to BLFS

Richard Hamilton warbirdnut at ev1.net
Tue Feb 7 06:42:06 PST 2006

On Sunday 05 February 2006 02:00, boovarahan boovarahan wrote:
> Hi All !
>
> Now that I have a stable LFS system, I want to go on to BLFS. But the
> problem is I can not use my LFS system usefully because it does not
> have network/text based web browser be default. So it is difficult to
> read the BLFS book which is stored in my hdd.
>
> Please guide me.
>
> Boovarahan S

Well, I agree what that the LFS book as to say about the state of a LFS system
at completion.

 "The system you have created in this book is quite minimal, and most likely
will not have the functionality you would need to be able to continue
forward. By installing a few extra packages from the BLFS book while still in
our current chroot environment, you can leave yourself in a much better
position to continue on once you reboot into your new LFS installation.
Installing a text mode web browser, such as Lynx, you can easily view the
BLFS book in one virtual terminal, while building packages in another. The
GPM package will also allow you to perform copy/paste actions in your virtual
terminals. Lastly, if you are in a situation where static IP configuration
does not meet your networking requirements, installing packages such as
Dhcpcd or PPP at this point might also be useful."

Hmm.... Why doesn't that mention setting up iptables and configuring a
firewall?