A way to keep track of packages while installing LFS

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 12:38:43 PST 2006

On 2/2/06, David Fix <6gwlse302 at sneakemail.com> wrote:
> > Not true.  Support for kernel features is the responsibility of the
> > user application.  I run Beagle with inotify support, and I don't have
> > inotify support in linux-libc-headers.
> >

> Ah, ok.  :)  Thanks for letting me know about that.  :)

No problem.  It's all part of the weirdness of kernel headers.  Just
because our glibc wasn't built with inotify support doesn't mean that
an application can't access an available kernel feature.  It's just up
to the user app to handle this interface.  For instance, Beagle
includes inotify.h in it's source tree and has runtime detection to
see if inotify is available.

As I understand it, very few applications actually need a specific
kernel feature or need to access the kernel directly, so this
situation doesn't come up that often.  But I'm not a programmer and
have no idea what kernel interfaces even look like, so I'll pass you
the salt to take that statement with.

--
Dan