Config error in binutils pass1

rick rick at ttys0.us
Wed Feb 1 14:05:08 PST 2006

Started over today using 6.1.1 with the LiveCd as host. Upon
running config of binutls pass 1 section 5.3 I get the
following error message

configure:2252:17: gmp.h: No such file or directory
configure: In function `main':
configure:2256: error: `choke' undeclared (first use in this
function)
configure:2256: error: (Each undeclared identifier is
reported only once
configure:2256: error: for each function it appears in.)
configure:2256: error: parse error before "me"
configure: failed program was:
#line 2251 "configure"

So I look in the configure.in file and find

 noconfigdirs="$noconfigdirs target-newlib target-libgloss"
    if test "x$with_gmp" = x && test "x$with_gmp_dir" = x \
        && test -f /usr/local/include/gmp.h; then
      with_gmp=/usr/local
    fi

I searched and could not find a copy of gmp.h on the LiveCd
so I went to the net, obtained a copy and placed it in
/usr/local/include and ran config again.  The error
regarding gmp.h no longer showed up but I did get the
following error

configure: In function `main':
configure:2284: error: `mpfr_t' undeclared (first use in
this function)
configure:2284: error: (Each undeclared identifier is
reported only once
configure:2284: error: for each function it appears in.)
configure:2284: error: parse error before "n"
configure:2284: error: `n' undeclared (first use in this
function)
configure: failed program was:
#line 2280 "configure"

So instead of continuing on with this process I figured it
would be better to ask here.  I did search the archives but
did not find any information that really helped.

My question is should I have even worried about the
original error.  I am making the assumption that all
necessary files are included on the LiveCd and that the
original error was not critical.

I certainly am not the most proficient at troubleshooting
config errors, or even understanding when they might be
ignored, so whatever I might be missing feel free to
slap me upside the head and point out the error of my ways.

Rick Richardson