package users and Perl

Luca Dionisi luca.dionisi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 06:57:57 PST 2006

Hi community,

I eventually need to install some Perl programs (and modules).

I've used, since the beginning and up to now, the package users system.
I've got a user (perl) that is the owner of the Perl package.

As I understand, to install a module, or even a program written in Perl,
the common practise is to run
  perl Makefile.PL
  make
  make test
  make install
My question is:
   - what are the commands commonly used in the install phase?
   - where are the new files going?
   - do I need to be able to modify/overwrite files in the lib/perl
     directory structure, or only to add new files?

In few words: can I use a distinct package user for each
Perl module/program?

_AND_ what about CPAN? Can I use "perl -MCPAN -instal..."
with package users?

TIA for any advice.
--Luca