cannot execute /bin/bash : No such file or Directory exists

Vladimir A. Pavlov pv4 at bk.ru
Thu Aug 31 13:35:49 PDT 2006

On Thursday 31 August 2006 21:54, yogesh prabhu wrote:
>  # Begin /etc/fstab
> # filesystem  mount-point type   options          dump  fsck
>                                                         order
> /dev/hdc6         /        ext2   defaults         1     1
> /dev/hdc10        swap     swap   pri=1            0     0
> proc              /proc    proc   defaults         0     0
> sysfs             /sys     sysfs  defaults         0     0
> devpts            /dev/pts devpts gid=4,mode=620   0     0
> shm               /dev/shm tmpfs  defaults         0     0
> # End /etc/fstab

I simulated the error while "Mounting the remaning file systems" and
went to conclusion that the absence of '#' character at the beginning
of the 3rd line of fstab isn't a mistake in your mail but an error in
your fstab. I'm sure it's this error that caused the [failed] message
during boot up process.

So, replace

# Begin /etc/fstab
# filesystem  mount-point type   options          dump  fsck
                                                        order

with

# Begin /etc/fstab
# filesystem  mount-point type   options          dump  fsck
#                                                       order

in your fstab.

> mount : mount point does not exist................   [failed]

This error message is what helped me to solve the problem mentioned.

Now, I begin to guess why you cannot login but I'm not sure. Please show
the output of the following command (/etc/passwd is LFS's passwd, not
livecd's one).

echo "[$(grep 0:0 /etc/passwd)]"

If possible, don't reenter the command yourself. Just copy and insert it
and execute it.

The output must be as follows

[root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash]

_No spaces_ are allowed in the output! If they are present, remove them
from /etc/passwd and try to login again.

If this won't work please send here your LFS's /etc/passwd
and /etc/inittab files and I continue to search for the error.

> Can you Help me ???
> Will this issue get solved ..
I try to solve the problem as fast as I can. If I had direct access to
your computer the process would go faster...

--
Nothing but perfection
pv