package users: re-adjusting the toolchain

Brandon Peirce brandon_peirce at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 30 11:07:46 PDT 2006

Chris Staub wrote:

>The adjusted linker is installed into /tools, so you need to use root.

Why root?
Of course you can always achieve this with root, but that's kind of missing
the point of package users technique, (and also violating principle of least
privelege).
I concede that the motivation for why you would use the package users
technique in the first place is much less applicable to the installations in
/tools than to the final installations in /usr.  However from reading the
experiences of people who have used this technique, they all say that you
should start with it from the beginninig because you make life really
difficult for yourself if you try to switch half-way. I therefore assume
that if Angel has got this far with package users, he has been using them
also in Ch 5.  I'm also assuming that the numeric user IDs of the package
users in the chroot match those on the host, otherwise it will be a real
mess.

Hmmm.  A lot of assumptions.  I concur with your earlier statement about the
level of experience need to use the package users technique compared with
the type of questions asked.

Brandon