upgrade of libc-2.3.3.so to libc-2.3.6.so problematic?

Brandon Peirce brandon_peirce at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 28 15:31:01 PDT 2006

lynx.abraxas wrote:
>Forgot  to  ask  what  gcc version You'd recommend for glibc, and wich for
>the
>kernel, and the rest? Should it all be compiled by the same  version?  I
>know
>2.95  is not good anymore but version 4 does something wrong, too. 3.3.6
>then,
>or 3.4?

I suggest that if you want to choose a Gcc version you will have the fewest
headaches with the newest Gcc before the 4.x series.
I'm getting good results with 3.4.6.

No they do not all need to be compiled with the same version, but if you
start to
install many different versions of Gcc on your box you increase the risk
that
something might get mixed up sooner or later.  LFS 5.1.1 should have been
built with Gcc 3.3.3.  If that's still the one installed on your system,
just use that
unless you encounter a specific problem/reason to use a newer on.

B.