upgrade of libc-2.3.3.so to libc-2.3.6.so problematic?

lynx.abraxas at freenet.de lynx.abraxas at freenet.de
Mon Aug 28 04:36:31 PDT 2006

Hallo!

Thanks To all of You who have replied.
I  find  it quite amasing how different people expirenced the upgrade. Some do
it just like any other package and everything is fine even if it is not just a
micro-version upgrade and other do a big deal about it.
I can still remember very well how I smashed my SuSE once when upgrading glibc
as a greenhorn. Happily I still had the installation discs. Since then  I  got
carfull with that.
If  I'm not mistaken all problem seem to come form the loading of libraries in
the running System. Would it be good to do the installation from  outside  LFS
like SuSE? Then chroot into the LFS and do some tests.
The  thing  is  I  could not test everything until I boot into LFS. Which then
might not work.

Is there a way to figure out completly what was  installed  by  glibc  in  the
first  place  to  backup  it?  I  didn't  use  package-users  then so it's not
distinguishable from other packages.

Well thanks again and if You don't hear from me again You know what happend...

Lynx