Switching users in a bash script?

Angel Tsankov fn42551 at fmi.uni-sofia.bg
Sat Aug 26 02:18:26 PDT 2006

Hello!

I had prepared a bash script to install the LFS system. A few days ago I decided that I need a package management system and I chose
to use package users. I'd also like to start from the ground up and build the whole LFS using package users. This means that I need
to modify the long bash script that performs all the command in Chapter 6 of LFS 6.1.1 so that each package is installed as a
diferent user. And here comes the trouble - at some point in the script I need to switch from root to another (i.e. a package) user,
execute several of the commands that follow and return to the root user. This has to be done for every single package. Do I have an
alternative that is better (and possibly easier) than extracting the commands that install a package in their own script and using
'su -c' in one "master" script?